In our evaluate of Elementary OS, we referred to that one place that could be advanced upon is the Software Centre that is used to install packages. Specifically cited is the reality that in case you search for “Steam” in the Software Centre you get two results of which neither makes it viable to put in Steam.
The first hyperlink within the Software Centre definitely indicates an error message whereas the second hyperlink shows a “Buy” button which while clicked takes you to Ubuntu One that’s subsequent to useless.
Steam is free and may be downloaded from the software repositories already on your computer. This manual will show you methods to install Steam. The first manner is thru the command line however because you are using Elementary you’ll possibly favor to use a graphical device and so the second one way will display a way to set up a special graphical package deal manager which has a operating link to Steam.
How to Install Steam Using the Terminal
The tool used inside Elementary OS for installing software program from the command line is called apt.
To search for software program inside the apt repositories use the following syntax:
sudo apt-cache search programname
Sudo, whilst used in the example above, elevates your privileges to the administrator account. A not unusual false impression is that sudo is most effective used to can help you run programs as a superuser however in truth the sudo command may be used to permit you to run packages as any user at the gadget. It just so takes place that the administrator account is the default.
The apt-cache segment lets you carry out moves against the repositories along with search them that’s the subsequent word within the command above.
The application call can be either the name of a application or an outline of this system you want to search for.
sudo apt-cache search steam
The back output is a list of packages which match the description you entered.
If you look for steam the usage of this technique then you may see the Steam software from Valve software seem, that’s precisely what you want to install.
To installation steam the usage of apt type the subsequent command:
sudo apt-get install steam
A listing of dependencies will scroll up the display screen and you may be requested to go into Y to keep installing Steam.
When the installation has finished, use the menu within Elementary to locate the Steam icon and click on on it.
An update box will seem that allows you to download around two hundred megabytes of facts. You will then have Steam hooked up.
How to Install Steam Using Synaptic
Long term you’ll want to replace the Software Centre with some thing match for cause. Synaptic would not always look as pretty as the Software Centre however it works.
- Open up the Software Centre and look for Synaptic.
- When Synaptic seems within the listing of packages click on the installation button.
- Use the Elementary OS menu to search for the Synaptic icon and click on on it whilst it appears.
- Search for “Steam” using the quest field.
- An option for “Steam:i386” will seem. Click into the checkbox subsequent to “Steam:i386” and whilst the menu appears to click on “Mark for installation”. Click the “Apply” button.
- The software program will download and begin to put in. Halfway via a license agreement will seem. Select “Accept” from the drop-down list and keep.
- After the installation has finished, click on on the Elementary OS menu and look for Steam. When the icon appears to click on on it.
- An update box will seem which downloads about two hundred megabytes of updates. Steam will then be mounted.
You also can use Synaptic in place of the Software Centre for all of your downloads.