Get Ubuntu To Boot Before Windows,When you choose the choice to install.
Ubuntu alongside Windows the predicted result is that whilst you boot the computer a menu will seem with options to boot both Ubuntu or Windows.
Sometimes matters do now not pass to devise and Windows boots first with none option appearing for starting Ubuntu.
In this guide, you may be shown how to restoration the bootloader inside.
Ubuntu and if this fails you may be shown how to fix the issue from the computer’s UEFI settings if this fails.
01 Use efibootmgr To Change The Boot Order Within Ubuntu
The menu system used to provide options for booting Windows or Ubuntu is known as GRUB.
To boot in EFI mode every running device can have an EFI record.
If the GRUB menu would not seem it is usually due to the fact the Ubuntu UEFI EFI record is behind Windows inside the precedence listing.
You can fix this by way of booting into the stay model of Ubuntu and running multiple commands.
Simply comply with these steps:
1.Sert your stay Ubuntu USB force into the pc.
2. Open a terminal window and type the subsequent command: sudo apt-get-deploy efibootmgr
3. Enter your password and press Y when asked whether you want to continue.
4. A listing will seem with the following statistics: BootCurrent: 0001 Timeout: 0 Bootorder: 0001, 0002, 0003 i.Boot 0001 Windows ii.Boot 0002 Ubuntu iii.Boot 0003 EFI USB Drive This list is most effective indicative of what you may see. The BootCurrent indicates the item this is currently booting and so you will word that the BootCurrent in the listing above suits in opposition to Windows. You can change the boot order the use of the subsequent command: sudo efibootmgr -o 0002,0001,0003 This will change the boot order in order that Ubuntu is first after which Windows and then the USB power.
6. Exit the terminal window and reboot your computer(Remember to take away your USB pressure)
7. A menu should now appear with the option as well Ubuntu or Windows.
02 The Failsafe Way To Fix The Bootorder
If the first option does not work then you definitely need to use the UEFI settings screen in your computer to modify the boot order.
Most computer systems have a button you may press to carry up a boot menu.
Here are the keys for some popular brands:
- Acer – Escape, F12, F9
- ASUS – Escape, F8
- Compaq – Escape, F9
- Dell – F12
- EMachines – F12
- HP – Escape, F9
- Intel – F10
- Lenovo – F8, F10, F12
- Packard Bell – F8
- Samsung – Escape, F12
- Sony – F10, F11
- Toshiba – F12
You only need to press the sort of keys for the boot menu to seem. Unfortunately.
Each manufacturer uses a exclusive key and a producer doesn’t even hold it wellknown across their personal range.
The menu that looks must show Ubuntu if it’s far set up and you can boot using this menu.
It is worth noting this is not permanent and so that you will need to press.
The applicable key once more to expose the menu on every occasion you boot.
To make the option permanent you want to go into the settings display.
Again each producer makes use of its personal key for getting access to the settings.
- Acer – Delete, F2
- ASUS – Delete, F9
- Compaq – F10
- Dell – F2, F12
- EMachines – Tab, Delete
- HP – Escape, F1, F10
- Lenovo – F1, F2
- Packard Bell – Delete, F1
- Samsung – F2
- Song – F1, F2, F3
- Toshiba – Escape, F1, F12
A menu will seem at the pinnacle and also you ought to look for one known as boot settings.
At the lowest of the screen, you ought to see the present day boot order and it will display some thing like this:
To get Ubuntu to seem above Windows examine the bottom of the display to peer which button you have to press to transport an item up or down the list.
For instance, you may need to press F5 to move and alternative down and F6 to transport an alternative up.
When you have finished press the relevant button to shop the adjustments. For example F10.
Note that those buttons fluctuate from one manufacturer to another.
03 Ubuntu Does Not Appear As An Option
In a few occasions, you cannot see Ubuntu in either the boot menu or the settings screen.
In this example, it is probable that Windows and Ubuntu were installed the use of different boot techniques. For instance.
Windows was established the usage of EFI and Ubuntu was mounted the use of legacy mode or vice versa.
To see if this is the case transfer to the other mode to the one you’re the usage of. For instance.
If the display you’re booting in EFI mode switch to legacy mode.
Save the settings and reboot the pc. You will probably locate that Ubuntu now boots but Windows does not.
This glaringly is not perfect and the pleasant repair for this is to switch to whichever mode.
Windows is using after which reinstall Ubuntu using the equal mode.
Alternatively, you’ll ought to maintain switching between legacy and EFI mode in addition either Windows or Ubuntu.