Disable error reporting to Microsoft in Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, & XP
The errors reporting characteristic in Windows is what produces the ones indicators after certain program or operating system mistakes, prompting you to ship the facts approximately the trouble to Microsoft.
You would possibly need to disable blunders reporting to avoid sending personal information approximately your laptop to Microsoft, because you are no longer linked to the internet all of the time, or simply to forestall being induced via the traumatic alerts.
Error reporting is enabled by way of default in all variations of Windows but is simple to show off from both the Control Panel or from Services, depending for your version of Windows.
Important:Before you disable error reporting, please take into account that not simplest is it beneficial for Microsoft, but it is also ultimately a good factor for you, the Windows proprietor. These error reviews ship crucial information to Microsoft approximately a hassle that the running gadget or a program is having and allows them develop destiny patches and provider packs, making Windows more solid.
The precise steps worried in disabling errors reporting relies upon notably on which running machine you’re using. See What Version of Windows Do I Have? In case you’re now not sure which set of instructions to observe:
Disable Error Reporting in Windows 10
- Use the Windows Key+R keyboard shortcut to open the Run dialog box.
- Enter services.msc.
- Right-click or tap-and-hold Windows Error Reporting Service.
- Click or tap Properties.
- Click Disabled from the menu next to Startup type.
Can’t select it? If the Startup type menu is grayed out, log out and log back in as an administrator. Or, reopen Services with admin rights, which you can do by opening an elevated Command Prompt and then executing the services.msc command.
- Click or tap OK or Apply.
- You can now near out of the Services window.
Another manner to disable blunders reporting is through Registry Editor. Navigate to the registry key you spot underneath, and then locate the price known as Disabled. If it does not exist, make a new DWORD price with that actual name.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting
Note: You can make a new DWORD value from the Edit > New menu in Registry Editor.
Double-click or double-tap the Disabled value to change it from a 0 to a 1, and then save it by selecting OK.
Disable Error Reporting in Windows 8 or Windows 7
- Open Control Panel.
- Click System and Security.
Note:If you’re viewing the Large icons or Small icons view of Control Panel, click Action Center and bypass to Step 4.
- Click Action Center.
- Click Change Action Center settings from the left side of the Action Centerwindow.
- Click Problem reporting settings from the Related settings section at the bottom of the window.
- Pick one of the four options:
- Automatically take a look at for solutions (the default choice)
- Automatically check for solutions and send additional file information, if wanted
- Each time a problem takes place, question me earlier than checking for solutions: Choosing this will hold blunders reporting enabled but will prevent Windows from robotically notifying Microsoft approximately the problem. If your challenge about mistakes reporting is only privateness related, this is the great option for you.
- Never test for answers: This will absolutely disable blunders reporting in Windows.
There’s additionally a Select packages to exclude from reporting alternative which you’re welcome to explore if you’d instead customise reporting in place of completely disable it. This might be greater work than you are interested in, but the alternative is there in case you want it.
Note:If you can not exchange these settings because they are grayed out, choose the link at the lowest of the window that asserts Change report settings for all customers.
- Click OK on the Problem Reporting Settings window.
- Click OK on the Change Action Center settings window.
- You can now near the Action Center window.
Disable Error Reporting in Windows Vista
- Click Start and then Control Panel.
- Click System and Maintenance.
Note:If you are viewing the Classic View of Control Panel, double-click Problem Reports and Solutions and pass to Step four.
- Click Problem Reports and Solutions.
- Click Change settings on the left side of the window.
- Click one of the two available options:
- Check for solutions automatically (the default option)
- Ask me to check if a problem occurs
Choosing this may maintain error reporting enabled however will save you Windows Vista from automatically notifying Microsoft approximately the issue.
Note:If your handiest subject is sending facts to Microsoft, you can stop right here. If you would like to completely disable blunders reporting, you may bypass this step and preserve on with the closing instructions under.
- Click Advanced settings.
- Choose Off under the For my programs, problem reporting is: heading
Note:There are several superior options here that you’re welcome to explore in case you’d rather not completely disable error reporting in Windows Vista, but for the purposes of this academic we are going to absolutely disable the characteristic.
- Click OK.
- Click OK on the window with the Choose how to check for solutions to computer problems heading.
Note:You may notice that the Check for solutions automatically and Ask me to test if a trouble occurs options are actually grayed out. This is due to the fact Windows Vista mistakes reporting is completely disabled and these alternatives are not applicable.
- Click Close.
- You can now close the Problem Reports and Solutions and Control Panelwindows.
Disable Error Reporting in Windows XP
- Click Start and then Control Panel.
- Click Performance and Maintenance.
Note: If you’re viewing the Classic View of Control Panel, double-click System and skip to Step 4.
- Click System under the or pick a Control Panel icon section.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Click Error Reporting near the bottom of the window.
- Choose Disable error reporting.
Note:We suggest leaving the But notify me when essential mistakes arise checkbox checked. You probable nonetheless want Windows XP to notify you approximately the error, simply not Microsoft.
- Click OK on the Error Reportingwindow.
- Click OK on the System Properties window
- You can now close the Control Panel or Performance and Maintenancewindow.