Fix Problems, Windows Update exists to preserve Windows and other Microsoft software program updated, usually with little intervention from us. This includes protection updates which might be driven out on Patch Tuesday.
Unfortunately, sometimes one or extra of those patches will motive a problem. Ranging from extreme ones like errors messages stopping Windows from starting. Freezing the update procedure to less serious ones like video or audio issues.
Fix Problems, If you are assured that the trouble you are experiencing commenced only after one or more Windows updates. Whether or not guide, computerized, on Patch Tuesday, or otherwise.
Keep analyzing for help on what to do subsequent. This may also be a very good time to appearance over our Windows Updates. Patch Tuesday FAQ web page if you haven’t already.
Note: Any of Microsoft’s working systems ought to experience issues after Windows updates are set up, including Windows 10. Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, and Windows Server variations. important: Please read the How to Use This Troubleshooting Guide and Are You Sure. This Is an Issue Caused by a Windows Update. Sections below earlier than shifting on to the troubleshooting steps! To get your computer going for walks again, you need to recognize how this troubleshooting is prepared. As well as make sure that your problem simply changed into most possibly resulting from a Windows update.
How to Use This Troubleshooting Guide
We wouldn’t normally provide an explanation for the way to use a troubleshooting guide. However when you consider that you have got the extraordinary fortune of a concept approximately the cause of your hassle.
The assist we provide below is established a piece in another way than different tutorials. We’ve created where you figure through some other trouble with a totally unknown purpose.
That stated, the first factor you need to do is read the Are You Sure. This Is an Issue Caused by means of a Windows Update. Segment under.
Fix Problems, Even if you’re 100 percentage certain that an replace from Microsoft. triggered the hassle you’re having, do us a want and study it anyway.
If you spend the following hour or two seeking to restore a problem the usage of the incorrect assumption. Approximately its motive, it is not going that you are going to stroll away with a running laptop.
Fix Problems, Once you are fairly sure that your problem is at once related to the installation of one. More Windows updates, the second element to do is determine which set of troubleshooting steps to follow:
Windows Starts Successfully or Windows Does Not Start Successfully.
Just to be clear, here’s what we mean:
- Windows Starts Successfully: You have ordinary get admission to in your Desktop or Start Screen. Certain applications may not paintings nicely, you can not have get admission to to the net. Transferring round Windows may be slow, etc., however you do get all of the way in.
- Windows Does Not Start Successfully: You do not have get entry to on your Desktop or Start Screen. You can also acquire a Blue Screen of Death, a black display screen with nothing on it. A frozen login display screen, a menu of diagnostic options, and so forth. But you in no way get all of the way into Windows.
To summarize, examine the segment straight away under this paragraph first and then scroll down. And comply with the suitable set of troubleshooting steps on your trouble. Decided by way of how a good deal get entry to to Windows you’ve got proper now.
Are You Sure This Is an Issue Caused by a Windows Update
STOP! Don’t scroll down beyond this section because you’re past positive. That those Microsoft updates crashed or broke your computer in some way. You’re probable proper, considering that you observed yourself right here, however you are wise to recall some things first:
01. Are you positive the updates are fully set up. If the Windows replace installation itself is frozen. You would possibly see a “Preparing to configure Windows”, “Configuring Windows updates”. or similar message for a totally long term.
The troubleshooting inside the two sections underneath is maximum useful if your hassle is due to fully installed patches. If Windows is stuck at some point of the update set up technique. See as a substitute our How to Recover From a Frozen Windows Update Installation tutorial.
02. Are you sure the replace that was mounted changed into a Windows update. The assist provided underneath is specific to troubles resulting from patches made to be had through Windows Update by using Microsoft, for Microsoft merchandise.
Fix Problems, Other software organizations regularly push updates for your laptop thru their personal software program and so don’t have anything to do with Microsoft or Windows Update, and would be out of doors the scope of this troubleshooting manual. Some famous businesses that do that consist of Google (Chrome, etc.) Adobe (Reader, AIR, and so on.), Oracle (JAVA), Mozilla (Firefox), and Apple (iTunes, and many others.), among others.
03. Is your hassle outdoor the scope of an working device An replace to Windows cannot probably effect a place of your pc that no operating gadget, together with Windows, has manage over.
For example, in case your laptop not powers on at all, powers off immediately after powering on, activates but shows not anything at the display screen, or has a few different hassle previous to the start of the Windows boot procedure, then a recent Windows replace was without a doubt a coincidence. See How to Fix a Computer That Won’t Turn On (objects 2, 3, four, or five) for help running via your trouble.
Tip: If you would like to settle this query for sure, physically disconnect your difficult pressure and then activate your pc. If you see the precise equal conduct along with your tough force unplugged, your difficulty is in no manner related to a Windows update.
04. Did something else show up, too While your trouble should clearly still be because of issues as a result of a Windows update, you have to additionally as a minimum preserve in mind different in all likelihood variables if any come to thoughts.
For example, across the day you think the replace became hooked up, did you also installation a brand new piece of hardware, or replace a motive force, or set up a few new software program, or receive a observe about a pandemic that was simply cleaned, etc.?
If none of the above practice to your state of affairs, keep troubleshooting your problem as a Windows Update/Patch Tuesday problem by following either Windows Starts Successfully, or Windows Does Not Start Successfully below.
Windows Starts Successfully
Follow this troubleshooting manual in case you’re experiencing a problem after one or greater Windows updates but you’re nonetheless able to get entry to Windows.
01. Restart your computer. Some issues seen after Windows replace installations can be corrected with a easy reboot.
While it changed into more an problem in older versions of Windows like Windows XP, from time to time one or more updates might not completely install on a unmarried pc restart, mainly whilst a huge quantity of updates are installed concurrently.
02. Some problems experienced after Windows updates are less “problems” and extra annoyances. Before we circulate on to greater complicated steps, right here are some relatively minor issues that we have encountered after some Windows updates, along with their likely solutions:
- Problem: Some web sites are inaccessible in Internet Explorer.
- Solution: Reset Internet Explorer’s Security Zones to their default ranges.
- Problem: A hardware tool (video, sound, and so forth.) is no longer running nicely or is producing an errors code/message.
- Solution: Update the drivers for the device.
- Problem: Installed antivirus software might not update or produces mistakes.
- Solution: Update the antivirus program’s definition documents.
- Problem: Files are being opened through the wrong program.
- Solution: Change the document extension’s default program.
03. Complete a System Restore to uninstall the Windows replace(s). This answer could be very likely to work for the reason that all of the changes made by the updates are reversed.
Important: During the System Restore method, choose the restore point created simply previous to the installation of the Windows updates. If no repair factor is available, then you might not be able to do this step. System Restore itself need to have had a few difficulty previous to the Windows update that averted a restore point from being mechanically created.
If System Restore fixes the trouble you have been experiencing, see How to Prevent Windows Updates From Crashing Your PC earlier than you do whatever else. You’ll need to make changes to how Windows Update is configured, in addition to comply with some excellent practices in regards to installing the updates once more, or you might enjoy the equal specific trouble while the patches attempt to automatically deploy again.
04. Run the sfc /scannow command to test for troubles with, and update if essential, important Windows documents that can be corrupted or removed.
Fix Problems, System File Checker (the name of the device run via executing the sfc command) isn’t a specially likely way to a put up-Patch-Tuesday or different Windows replace difficulty but it is the most logical subsequent step if a System Restore doesn’t do the trick
05. Test your reminiscence and take a look at your difficult drive. While no replace from Microsoft is able to physically unfavourable your reminiscence or difficult force, the current patches, like all software set up from any enterprise, might have been a catalyst that made these hardware problems apparent.
Fix Problems, If both take a look at fails, replace the reminiscence or update the hard drive, and then set up Windows again from scratch.
06. If none of the above suggestions worked then it is very possibly that the Windows updates left your computer is this type of mess that you have to take extra drastic, and at the least somewhat adverse, measures to get it operating again.
Choose a repair approach based at the version of Windows you’ve got. If there’s multiple alternative for a given version of Windows, the primary is the least unfavourable option, observed with the aid of the greater destructive one. If you attempt the least destructive one and it doesn’t work, you’re left handiest with the extra negative choice:
Use Reset This PC to reinstall Windows 10, without or with keeping your private documents intact. See How to Reset Your PC in Windows 10 for assist.
You can also Clean Install Windows 10 if Reset This PC does not work.
Use Refresh Your PC to reinstall Windows eight, preserving personal files and Windows Store apps only.
Use Reset Your PC to reinstall Windows eight, preserving no private files, apps, or applications. See How to Refresh or Reset Your PC in Windows 8 for help.
You can also Clean Install Windows eight if Reset Your PC does not work for a few purpose.
Reinstall Windows 7, retaining no private documents or packages. See How to Clean Install Windows 7 for help.
Reinstall Windows Vista, keeping no personal documents or programs. See How to Clean Install Windows Vista for help.
Repair Windows XP, keeping private documents and mounted applications. See How to Repair Install Windows XP for assist.
Reinstall Windows XP, retaining no statistics or programs. See How to Clean Install Windows XP for help.
07. At this factor, your laptop must be working nice. Yes, you need to nevertheless install the entirety indexed in Windows Update, however don’t fear the identical troubles as long as you comply with the advice in How to Prevent Windows Updates From Crashing Your PC.
Windows Does Not Start Successfully
Follow this troubleshooting guide if you’re not able to get admission to Windows typically after one or more Windows updates have been mounted.
01. Restart your computer. Whatever problem the update(s) brought about may want to clear itself up with a easy electricity off and electricity on.
Fix Problems, Chances are you’ve got already finished this several instances however if not, deliver it a strive.
Tip: If you may inform your laptop is “running hot” thanks to all the paintings it’s been doing seeking to boot, strive powering it off for an hour or so before beginning it up again.
02. Start Windows using Last Known Good Configuration, a good way to attempt to start Windows the use of registry and driver facts that labored the final time it turned into correctly started.
Note: The Last Known Good Configuration alternative is best to be had on Windows 7, Vista, and XP.
03. Start Windows in Safe Mode. If you could start in Safe Mode, comply with the advice above in the Windows Starts Successfully academic.
Fix Problems, If you can not start in Safe Mode, do not worry, simply pass on to the following troubleshooting step beneath.
04. Complete an offline System Restore to uninstall the Windows replace(s). Be positive to pick the repair point created simply previous to the set up of the Windows update(s).
You’ll need to recognize how to start System Restore from the Command Prompt a good way to do an offline repair.
Note: A regular System Restore is completed from within Windows however since you can not get admission to Windows proper now, you’ll need to finish an offline System Restore, meaning from outside of Windows. This option is not available in Windows XP. Important: Since all of the changes made by way of the updates are undone throughout this method, it is probable to repair your trouble. However, as quickly as you get again into Windows, see How to Prevent Windows Updates From Crashing Your PC earlier than you do something else. You ought to enjoy the equal issues once more soon unless you make the preventative modifications mentioned in that article.
05. Test your memory and test your difficult force. No Windows update can physically damage your reminiscence or tough force but their installation, like every software set up, might also have been a catalyst that brought these hardware problems to light.
Fix Problems, Replace the memory or replace the difficult pressure if the memory or hard pressure assessments fail, and then install Windows once more.
06. See How to Fix a Blue Screen of Death in case your trouble is a BSOD.
There are some greater thoughts in that troubleshooting guide that could apply to your state of affairs, in particular in case you suspect that there might be a non-Windows-update purpose for this mistake.
07. If all previous troubleshooting has failed, you’ll should take some greater invasive measures to get your laptop back in running order.
Fix Problems, Find your model of Windows under and perform the repair undertaking listed. If your version has more than one choice, strive the first one first when you consider that it is less adverse:
Tip: You need to recognise which Windows model you need to realize which set of commands you want to comply with.
Use Reset This PC to reinstall Windows 10, with or without keeping your personal documents intact. See How to Reset Your PC in Windows 10 for help.
You can also Clean Install Windows 10 if Reset This PC would not work.
Use Refresh Your PC to reinstall Windows eight, preserving private files and Windows Store apps most effective.
Use Reset Your PC to reinstall Windows eight, keeping no personal documents, apps, or applications. See How to Refresh or Reset Your PC in Windows eight for help.
You could also Clean Install Windows eight if Reset Your PC doesn’t work for a few cause.
Reinstall Windows 7, maintaining not anything (no non-public files or applications). See How to Clean Install Windows 7 for assist.
Reinstall Windows Vista, retaining not anything (no private documents or programs). See How to Clean Install Windows Vista for help.
Repair Windows XP, maintaining private files and packages. See How to Repair Install Windows XP for assist.
Reinstall Windows XP, retaining nothing (no private documents or applications). See How to Clean Install Windows XP for assist.
08. Once Windows is reinstalled, visit Windows Update once more but follow the recommendation in How to Prevent Windows Updates From Crashing Your PC to keep away from troubles like this within the future.